LOCATION: Thekla, Bristol
REPORTS TO: General Manager and Central Production Manager
RESPONSIBLE FOR: Technical Staff
SALARY: £30,000 per annum plus benefits
DHP Family are one of the UK’s most exciting and creative entertainment companies – a leading player in the music and night life entertainment sector. We have circa 300 employees across 7 sites in the UK, including our Head Office function in Nottingham. We have been operating venues and organising concerts for 30 years and since then our ever growing family has expanded to also run its own ticketing, festivals and band management. From our internationally renowned Rock City venue in Nottingham, to our award winning boat – Thekla in Bristol, we have something happening somewhere that will entertain our customers.
We’re excited to be recruiting for an experienced Technical Manager position to be based at our award winning venue Thekla in Bristol. Thekla has been moored in Bristol Harbour since the early 80s, and has since grown into a world renowned live music venue and a focal point of the local scene.
Whether providing a stage for international touring acts or showcasing local talent, the venue provides a unique backdrop for every event and the ship’s crew ensure its smooth sailing.
Technical Manager Job Purpose
To act as the main technical contact at Thekla for all live and club events. Lead the venues technical and production team, ensuring every event is staffed to requirement, while aiming to achieve the highest industry leading production values that are expected from a DHP venue.
Advancing live shows to ensure we can provide everything the artists require. Support the venue management team with technical knowledge and practical application of the sound and light equipment at the venue.
- Responsible for liaising with touring parties in advance of their event to establish their requirements and ensure we meet them.
- Liaising with hire companies or other third-party companies when additional equipment or specialised staff are required.
- Collating all information for the duty manager and technical staff for the event and to be able to access and run the show successfully.
- Hold regular meetings with both management team and tech department to brief about upcoming events and extracurricular requirements.
- Assist with new installations of sound light and video equipment at other DHP Family venues when required
- Recruit and manage the venue’s technical staff ensuring the venue is well provisioned for all gigs and club nights
- To have a strong working knowledge of the venue’s sound and light equipment. Manage all technical assets including maintenance and repair.
- Develop a strong team of engineers through in-house training and mentoring and structure rotas in accordance with budget constraints specified by the venue General Manager
- Keep the venue’s equipment and technical facilities and technical staff in compliance with DHP Family’s Health and Safety policies
- Oversee the technical aspects of each production from load in to load out including mixing sound, light ops and / or other technical DOS duties.
- To act as ‘in-house’ engineer (sound/lights/video)
- Support the venue’s management team in the advance planning of events and venue improvements
- Work with the venue management team to specify, purchase and oversea installation and use of updated and / or new sound and light equipment
- Act as main point of contact for all technical enquiries regarding the venue’s facilities and the building
- Represent DHP Family to the highest possible standards
- Any other technical duties as required
Please be advised that this post is full time and requires a mixture of daytime, evening (including late night) and weekend shifts.
Preferred Experience & Qualifications
- Previous experience in similar role
- Knowledge of a wide range of musical genres is desirable but not essential
- Attention to detail
- Good people skills
- Exceptional motivational skills
- Ability to prioritise, plan, and work to strict deadlines
- Ability to manage others confidently and professionally
If you are interested in developing your career with us, then please email your Covering Letter and CV to firstname.lastname@example.org
DHP Family is a committed Equal Opportunities employer promoting equality of opportunity. This means that everyone who either applies to or works for the Organization is treated equally, and we welcome applications from candidates no matter their gender, age, ethnic origin, nationality, marital status, disability, sexual orientation or religious beliefs.